Duty as a 'Local Celebrity'


Duty as a ‘Local Celebrity’


Our family business had a relationship with a local sportscaster for promotions.  Ken Dobson, known as ‘The Dobber,’ became a dear friend who passed away much too soon.
Ken started his career in Montreal and often spoke of his friendship with sports legends so I immediately phoned him when we booked hockey great Larry Robinson for an autograph signing event at our store.

Ken was ill then but his frail voice was excited and he said he’d stop by with his son and grandson.  When my father and I had lunch with Larry before the event, I said that Ken would attend yet Larry seemed puzzled and asked that I point him out when he arrived.  So when Ken approached with his family I whispered in Larry’s ear “that’s Ken Dobson, ‘the Dobber.’”

When Larry Robinson interrupted his signing of autographs, got up from his chair and exclaimed “Ken Dobson, my goodness, how is ‘The Dobber’”, Ken’s smile momentarily hid his illness.  Larry posed with Ken, his son and grandson and personalized an autograph that the grandson wouldn’t let go of.  It was the last time I saw Ken but it was a moment that still brings a tear to my eye.  I never asked Larry if he indeed did remember Ken – because it doesn’t matter – Larry had given a priceless gift to Ken and his family and that was all that mattered.

Within our community Ken was a celebrity in his own right as I succeeded in politics, I too became a ‘big fish in a small pond.’  When I attended community events, spoke to a classroom of students or even when I was approached in the grocery story, I realized that meeting the Mayor was a big deal for some.  Years later I am amazed when an adult with child in tow comes up and remarks about the time I spoke at their grad ceremony and posed with them for pictures afterwards.  Perhaps it was just one more ‘grip and grin’ assignment for me but for others it was a ‘once in a lifetime’ moment to meet the Mayor.

As time went by and titles were added, I got to be a fish in bigger ponds but obviously never approached the status of Larry Robinson however the example he set stuck with me.  I’m grateful for that moment between him and Ken Dobson, and always tried to remember that what was routine for me might be a very special memory for others.  As I speak with newly-elected local politicians, I urge them to do the same.



Check out my website at http://frankleonard.ca/ for information on Local Government and Consulting

Popular posts from this blog

Mt. View/Spectrum High School Distinguished Alumni Recognition

It's not you, it's the title

Compensation for Local Government Politicians