Mt. View/Spectrum High School Distinguished Alumni Recognition

 

On June 1, 2023 my high school alumni recognized my career with this designation.  Here are my comments at the ceremony.

Thank you Mayor Dean Murdock for the introduction; congratulations other alumni for the recognition – it is an honour to be in your company; and a special thanks to my family – all members of my family for so much support for so many years.

Allow me to make three comments:

1.         Just how much this means to me.  I attended nine schools in 12 years – my father was transferred around BC, and we rented once or twice at each stop - so it would be remarkable if anyone even remembers my attendance – thus to be presented with a recognition like this is extraordinary and I am truly grateful.

2.         As I look to some here who are travelling similar paths to mine, I want to stress that the goal was never to collect titles and positions – the goal is to make the most of these opportunities.  Winning an election is not the goal – taking advantage of the opportunity to make a better community is.  Serving in provincial and federal organizations was not the goal – negotiating agreements and programs for a better province and country is.  Receiving a recognition like this means to me that I worked with many others to make a difference.

3.         And as I look to some who may want to travel a path like mine, I want to stress what a real life journey it has been.  Fellow alumni Bob Bolitho did not score on every soccer shot he took, fellow alumni Carole James did not win every political battle she waged, and I had my share of wins and losses too.  But you can’t succeed unless there is a chance you’ll fail; you can’t win unless there is a chance you will lose. 

            My graduation class sang ‘Teach Your Children’ by Crosby, Stills and Nash – and if I were to choose a song at this point in my journey it would be ‘The Dance’ by Garth Brooks – for he sings ‘It’s my life, it’s better left to chance, I could have missed the pain, But I’d have had to miss the dance.’

            Thanks for recognizing this life, this dance.

Popular posts from this blog

It's not you, it's the title

Compensation for Local Government Politicians